Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Sweeny Todd- a review with no spoilers

Last night J, my parents and I went to see Sweeny Todd starring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall. I recommend seeing this movie. Overall, I really liked this movie. That said, it was just dark enough that I wouldn't want to buy the movie. But it was good. The actors were all amazing and were perfectly cast. Tim Burton did a fabulous job directing this. The contrasts between the happy times and sad times were beautifully done. The singing was done similar to Chicago, used as part of the diaglogue. The only complaint I really had regarding the singing was the character Joanna. She was a soprano (at least, to my tone deaf ears she was) and Timothy Burton (or whoever) had her in the higher pitches for most of her song.

On a side note, thanks to the Internet Movie Data Base, I currently am remembering Timothy Spall is the actor and I don't have to refer to him as the actor who played Peter Pettigrew in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. However, I think going forward I will never be able to stop picturing him as a rat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go see this soon. I've heard great things about it.

Anonymous said...

Apparently I'll be seeing it tomorrow at 2:20. :)